David Madden’s practice includes the representation of business and individual clientele in complex corporate transactions, business and consumer litigation, commercial bankruptcy and estate planning.
David’s broad experience enables him to serve his clientele in all facets, representing businesses and business owners in both the courtroom and the boardroom. David has counseled his clients in matters ranging from wills and trusts, shareholder agreements, negotiation of commercial leases, insolvency and debt collection as well as employee non-competition litigation. His wide breadth of experience has made David an asset to his clientele in numerous multi-disciplinary issues.
Illinois State Bar Association
Illinois Bar Journal publishes David Madden’s article on the use of acknowledged documents as trial evidence
David Madden’s article “Acknowledged Estate Planning Documents Are Self-Authenticating Evidence” appears in the November 2017 issue of the Illinois Bar Journal, the Illinois State Bar Association’s award-winning monthly magazine. The piece has practical information for transactional and trial attorneys about how having a document acknowledged by a notary when it’s executed can overcome a challenge to its authenticity at trial and ensure it will be admissible into evidence.
Henry Krasnow, Richard Sugar and David Madden author article entitled “The New Reality of Federal Litigation” on the Financial Poise website.progress.
On July 18, 2017, Financial Poise published an article written by Henry Krasnow, Richard Sugar and David Madden entitled “The New Reality of Federal Litigation.” The article discusses changes to longstanding Federal discovery rules and addresses how the adoption of these new rules impact how lawsuits progress.
SFGH Client Alert: The New Reality of Federal Litigation and Changes to Longstanding Discovery Rules
"The New Reality of Federal Litigation,” a SFGH news alert, discusses changes to longstanding Federal discovery rules. The article, drafted by Richard Sugar, Henry Krasnow and David Madden, addresses how the adoption of these new rules impact how lawsuits progress.
David Madden publishes article on Commercial Bankruptcy Alternatives entitled, “Corporate Debtors’ Attorney Client Privilege in the Hands of the Bankruptcy Trustee”
SFGH attorney David Madden’s article, “Corporate Debtors’ Attorney Client Privilege in the Hands of the Bankruptcy Trustee”, was recently published by Commercial Bankruptcy Alternatives.
Sugar Felsenthal Grais & Hammer LLP Among 2014's Top Ranked Law Firms by LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell
Sugar Felsenthal Grais & Hammer LLP has been named one of 2014's Top Ranked Law Firms across the United States by LexisNexis® Martindale-Hubbell® .
David Madden discusses the impact of an Illinois appellate court decision on credit card collection litigation.
David Madden discusses what chapter 7 bankruptcy means for businesses.
The Limits of Limited Liability for Corporate Officers, Directors, and Shareholders: Eleven Things You Need To Know
David Madden analyzes Illinois statutory and common law imposing liability upon corporate principles.
To Sue or Not To Sue: A Hypothetical Case Study in The Use of Decision Trees in Developing Litigation Strategy
David Madden explains how to use decision trees to evaluate the optimal course of action in complex litigation.
U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® names Sugar Felsenthal Grais & Hammer LLP a 2017 “Best Law Firm”
On November 1, 2016, U.S. News and World Report and Best Lawyers® announced that Sugar Felsenthal Grais & Hammer LLP had been ranked as a “Best Law Firm” for 2017.
Civic & Professional
- Publication Board, DCBA Brief, the Journal of the DuPage County Bar Association (2009-2011)
- Board of Directors, Chamber of Commerce of Woodridge, Illinois (2009-2010)
- United States Marine Corps Reserve, Corporal, Honorably Discharged (1995-2001)
David M. Madden's recent or notable engagements and experience includes:
- Crafted custom agreement between client and national trade association for client's development and management of certification program for association members.
- Successfully appealed case on behalf of residential property developer relating to sellers' violation of Illinois Residential Real Property Disclosure Act.
- Successfully sued property inspector on behalf of commercial property developer regarding faulty environmental assessment.
- Performed detailed review of complex technology outsourcing agreements for global consulting firm in large bankruptcy case.
- Successfully defended individual client in foreclosure case brought by ex-spouse's former business partner, where failure of client's prior attorneys had jeopardized client's possession of client’s home.
- Represented lenders and homeowners in residential foreclosure cases.
- Represented federal bankruptcy trustees, creditors' committees, distressed asset purchasers, significant contract parties, and individual creditors in federal and state court proceedings across the country.
- Counseled hundreds of consumers regarding Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy.